Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The One that Missed the Boat.



I believe I'm the loneliest odd sock in the world. I have been residing for nearly ten years in this empty cupboard draw. I say reside, but such a word implies an amount of willingness on the subject to live in the accommodation, but I do not take residence here comfortably. I am utterly stranded.

My friend, nothing has moved in this draw, in this cupboard, or indeed, this very room, for over a decade. Neither sock nor pant share this derelict cabinet. Why this silence? Driven mad with asking, I tell you! I have called out for answer, sung wild chants to attract, but there is no other presence that has yet acknowledged.

What of the human feet? The humans themselves? Dare I even wonder where fate has taken us! I swear, I must tell you, at times, in contemplation I panic within my condition. My thoughts dart and riot against me, with the terror of my isolation. The weight of silence like a presence all the more. The other, remains always an acrophobic absence, which I need, no long! to reinhabit this space.

Has life loosed upon them death? Plague...war, genocide! Destitution.My friend, I must leave! I must venture alone. But I am only a sock, how am I too move? To get out of this drawer! Damn, damn, damn....ten thousands damns for human hands and feet. The hands to pick, the feet to wear! That's the way it is, was. Must I take this much longer!

2 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

The Omega Sock! Wonderful, if only for the line 'Am I to believe I am the last sock in the world?' It works. I think it needs a final polish but basically that's it. Very good. Nice subtext too.

Dave King said...

A lovely piece of writing, if a little more highly-styled than I would normally appreciate. It seems appropriate here. All sorts of allusions followed me all the way through. I don't know why it has taken me so long to find your blog, but I am very pleased I have.