Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bed is always right




-->
What made earth wake at all?
Bed is a pleasant Century or Ten,
don't you agree?
Bed is the Century for me.
It slips by without notice.
It 's not in-your-face
balshy brazen or bold,
it has the calmness of wisdom.
A wisdom that need not speak at all.
A wisdom that has its eyes closed,
drifts in its mind dozes
snoozes a fox a snooze bear
a cushion of mind;

kettle warm
cookie warm
bread warm
morning sock warm
central heating warm
Great tossing and turning
upon the great ease of
duvet love and pillow love
cosy foxes dose love.

the love that does not ask too much.
The love that settles down,
that is in no way reactionary
but is as peaceful hand upon hand
Bed is the century worth sleeping for.
Life is the great war of the tired.
Bed is the great peace of the content.

Bed is the President of the United States of Zzzzzz...
Bed is the only literal arena where equality lies.
(Bed proclaims, hating bad poetry and good poetry.
Shut up and come to me...)
Bed is always right.

4 comments:

Mrs Pouncer said...

Charmant.
I am typing this from my bed.

Rachel Fox said...

I like the first line, the fourth line and the United States bit best of all.

I think you could tighten it up a bit. I think it could be something special...maybe.
x

McGuire said...

O, Rachel, the 'maybe' is dripping with doubt, why?

This needs a good janitorial cleaning up but I think the soul remains alivei n this piece as it is. But some dodgy punctuation and general slapdashery needs brought into line.

Appreciate your reading.

Rachel Fox said...

The 'maybe' because...well, what do I know?
But I like the idea (and the soul) and I don't think I've ever read a poem that glories in bed in quite this way.And some of the lines are really good - 'Life is the great war of the tired' is another one that just jumped out at me.
When you feel (or know...for sure...or as near as damn it) that it is the very best version of this poem that you can make it - then it's done.
x